Brand name: Vioxx
Public Citizen has been assessing the quality and efficacy of drugs and devices since its founding in 1971. We use the law, petitions, and letters to monitor the FDA and coax the agency into action. Our actions have contributed to many drugs being pulled off the market. Public Citizen has also been instrumental in getting “black box” and other warnings on drugs. Our advocacy work on this drug is available below.
If you are interesting in reading our evaluations of the safety and efficacy of medications as well as information on drug side effects and interactions, please visit WorstPills.org.
More information on rofecoxib (Vioxx)
- Letter in the New York Times on Cox-2 Painkillers: Painkillers and Terrorism, February 19, 2005
- Testimony on the Dangers of Cox-2 Drugs, February 17, 2005
- USA Today Editorial: Take Drugs off the Market, December 27, 2004
- Statement: Vioxx (Rofecoxib), Other Cox-2 Inhibitors Have Safety Problems, September 30, 2004
- Testimony on Celecoxib (Celebrex) and Rofecoxib (Vioxx), February 7-8, 2001